The Sakura Tree Exhibition and Book Launch Itinerary
The Artist has mounted and circulated a traveling exhibition of The Sakura Tree original watercolours.
Endpapers, The Sakura Tree, 2006, watercolour.
Image Size 19" X 42"
Exhibits and Book Launches organized by the Artist
- June, 2007: Edmonton Japanese Community Association at the Edmonton Cultural Centre.
- Sept. 2007: Nikka Yuko Gardens (Lethbridge, Alberta)
- Oct. 13 - Dec. 13, 2006: Calgary (Alberta) Japanese Community Association in conjunction with the NAJC (National Association of Japanese Canadians) AGM. "Karen was honored to be introduced by CJCA President Kevin Okabe for the NAJC AGM as "the first person from outside of their community that has taken such an interest* in JC cultural, and social heritage and history". *Mr. Okabe was referencing Karen's national promotional efforts for The Sakura Tree book and travelling art exhibit of the original watercolours.
- Jan. 10 - Feb. 15, 2008: Yates Memorial Gallery, Allied Arts Council of Lethbridge, Alberta University of Lethbridge Bookstore in conjunction with the Alberta Teachers Association:
Book Signing by the Artist, Thursday Feb. 21 and Friday, Feb. 22: 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. The Artist will be available to sign both Alberta Remembers and The Sakura Tree.
- March 29 - April 10: Embassy of Japan in Ottawa in collaboration with the Ottawa Japanese Canadian Association. The Artist gratefully acknowledges
funding assistance to bring The Sakura Tree to Ottawa with an Alberta Foundation for the Arts Visual Arts Project Grant; an OJCC Community
Development Grant; and a NAJC Cultural Development Grant. Official opening April 5th in the afternoon.The Embassy of Japan is open weekdays from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. and weekends from 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. It is located at 255 Sussex Drive, Ottawa. For further information please contact Mr. Tsukada, Embassy of Japan at 613-241-8541 or the Artist.
- Artist Presentation for the "Weaving Words !X Extending Literature Through the Fine Arts" conference. Karen will be speaking on points with creating cultural, social heritage and marrying those ideas to the creative process involved with creating artwork intended for publishing. Monday, April 21 2:45 - 4 p.m. and Tuesday, April 22, 10:30 - 11:45 p.m. For more information on "Weaving Words IX: http://people.uleth.ca/~sapdc/WW2008/ww_conf_info.html Karen's book signings for both Alberta Remembers and The Sakura Tree for Weaving Words IX will occur on: Monday April 21, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. and Tuesday April 22, 2:45 -4:30 p.m."
May 1 - 30 , 2008 Nikkei Place, National Japanese Canadian Heritage Museum hosts The Sakura Tree exhibit.
Friday, May 23 at 6:30 join Karen for a participant customized round table discussion on topics pertinent to the creation of The Sakura Tree paintings at Nikkei Place. Contact the Museum for registration by phone at 604-777-7000 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Saturday, May 24 at 2 p.m. The Sakura Tree Exhibit Reception and Book Signing: Author, Carolyn McTighe and Karen Brownlee will be in attendance.
Nikkei Place is open Tuesday - Friday 11 a.m. - 9:30 p.m. Closed Sun., Mon., and Holidays
Page 24+25 Swirling Blossoms, The Sakura Tree, 2006, watercolour.
Image Size 19" X 42"
All images and copyrights reserved by the Artist